Saturday, August 25, 2018

Week 2


Weekly Greetings!

Wow, we had a great first week in 3rd grade! This is a delightful group of students, and I am truly privileged to help mold their future through the coming school year. I see abundant potential in them all.

I have a distinct structure on how I manage my classroom, and we started off on the first day in small groups with the students working to establish what the three main rules looked like, and sounded like in the classroom. We focused on "Being Safe", "Being Kind", and "Being a Good Listener". It was wonderful to see how well each group cooperated together and the ideas they generated were perfect!
 
We were pretty busy on projects this week, and one of them was a crayon explaining a few things about each student to go on our main board in class.  There will be an Open House at the Tok School on Tuesday from 4pm to 6pm and I hope you can come in and see the project for yourselves.
We covered four of the "Six Keys" for success this year, and will address the last two this week. They tie in nicely to the CHAMPS program that the district is implementing in all schools. We will start to cover that program by the end of the week. The students are working on a compare and contrast book for all six keys, and I am listing them again here. Ask you child about them!

The keys are:
  • Safety from fear of embarrassment or physical harm.
  • Love and Belonging through inclusion, respect, and sincere caring.
  • Freedom and Independence through the option to make meaningful decisions and choices.
  • Fun and Enjoyment through meaningful engagement that provides gratification while learning.
  • Valued Purpose through knowing that what is being learned is purposeful to the learner. 
  • Success through the recognition of accomplishments and growth in creativity, competence, skills, and knowledge. 
Also, ask your child about the S.T.A.R.S. pod class they are in during the afternoons. Most of the students I have talked with say they like the one they are in.

This week we will continue to establish routines through a smart start review. I am sending home Scholastic book order forms if you are interested in ordering any books. I will need the orders returned by Friday, September 7.  The easiest and fastest way for me to get the books is have you give me cash or a check, them I call the order in and put it on my credit card.

In closing, please remember that there will be an early release on Friday at 2:15. I hope you all can make it to the Tok School Open House on Tuesday from 4pm to 6pm. See you then!

Kind Regards,

Julie Brown

No comments:

Post a Comment

Week 40

Weekly Greetings, Our last week of school is here! I can't believe how fast the year has gone by, and how much the students have grown...